Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Friday, May 18, 2007

Rainbow Musings......

This gorgeous view greeted me as I returned home from work yesterday!
I suppose the gold is not always in a pot at the end, eh?

Broken necklace man!

I remember writing many months ago that it was time for me to move on. I'm approaching the sixth anniversary of my 40th birthday and it's time to "do" or "forget about it." I'm opting for "doing." It's not as easy, however, to make these kinds of changes as one gets older. The details that need to be worked out seem exhausting. I have a huge house full of the detritus of life. Lots of it will need to be culled and thrown out or given away. Tiring work, yet I already imagine the freedom my brain will feel when my surroundings are pared down. Living simply is something I'm very interested in yet I seem to have some sort of block towards getting rid of things. I've become more sentimental as I age and I want to hang on to lots of thing. There was a point in my life when my son was young when we collected beanie babies. I have 5 big tubs of them totaling around 150. They've barely been touched; in "new" condition. I want to save them to give to my grandchildren for birthdays and holidays. They can drag them all around. I don't mind. I'm even keeping my son's solid pine bunkbed bedroom furniture for his children. He could care less. But I do. So I haul these possessions with me from place to place. You see....for such a nomad/wanderer/adventurer personality as I have, it just doesn't mesh well with my volume of possessions. I can't seem to reach a happy medium on this but that's exactly what I need to do in order to move to a foreign country for a while. I love the fact that I can only take two suitcases with me. It will also be a discouragement to acquires "things" that I can't bring back to the States so perhaps I'll finally get an opportunity to live simply for a year.
You know.....traveling and experiencing new cultures and places is not just self-centered frivolous sightseeing for me. For lack of a more complex way to explain it, it's simply something that I have to do. I don't want to make excuses for myself as to why I didn't pursue what could have been pursued. I want my list to be worn out and have lots of checkmarks on it. That will make me very, very happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home