Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Monday, August 07, 2006

She Can Drive?



This past weekend I was in Nashville helping my friend, Carrie, contribute to the welfare of Tennesseans at Opry Mills. She had a great time and ooh'd and aah'd when we took her through the Opryland Hotel. My mother met us for dinner and when Carrie saw her driving she said, "Your mother can drive???" I said, "Of course." She informed me that in China you must be younger than 60 in order to drive. She said the government believes that after 60 your reaction time is compromised and you might become a threat to yourself or others. Carrie didn't realize that the age limit of 60 was extended to 70 years old in China in 2003. You can also drive beyond the age of 70 by passing written and physical and driving exams. Now THAT seems like a good idea for the U.S., maybe starting at the age of 80 (but if I make it to 80 I probably won't think so).
Speaking of age, at 45 I generally feel very young. Is that a product of having many friends in their 20's and 30's? Maybe. So I wonder how "young" I'll feel when I'm 60 or 70. One of my favorite authors, May Sarton, frequently wrote of her bewilderment that she felt so young into her 60's and 70's (she lived to her 80's). She also had many friends and many of them were much younger. Ironically, when I was in my 20's and taking care of my young son, I felt very old. I remember remarking several times how I felt like I was in my 40's (yeah, 40 was sorta old back then) but being a single mother in her young 20's can do that.
I'm going to miss my young friend. She was a joy to be around and I got to play "mother-daughter" for a few weeks. Carrie will be returning to the States in the fall (Pennsylvania) and after taking another intensive English course will enter the University of Pennslyvania as a freshman in January. I'm sure we'll meet again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home