Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Goodbye, Old Friend

I recently sold my car (as I have been given an even older one by a relative but with many, many fewer miles) to an 80 year old Russian gentleman named Victor. I hated to see my friend, ahem, car leave. We've been lots of places together, including two long road trips to Canada and upstate New York, Vermont, etc. But it was time and Victor needed a reliable car just to drive to the store and such during the months that he spends in Knoxville to visit his granddaughter and her family. Otherwise, he lives in Moscow. Last night he called me and said that he left the car in the Kroger parking lot because all the coolant had leaked out and it seemed apparent the car needed a new radiator. He said, "Can I return the car?" I said, "No, you cannot." (Hey, I like ya, old friend, but not that much!). So, being the person who is surely responsible for peaceful relations between the U.S. and Russia, I offered to go with him to check out the condition of the car and to take it to my mechanic. I was even prepared to have AAA tow it if necessary. We loaded the car up with water and after a check-up, it turns out the radiator drain plug was broken. Quick fix. Thankfully.
Later, my friend and I were sitting on my front porch steps eating some watermelon and I said, "You know, one day I'm not going to have to worry about money." My friend just smiled. We sat silently for a few more seconds, slurping watermelon. Then I said, "And hopefully it won't be because I'm dead." My friend laughed and laughed. I said, "Yep, you can stand up and say, 'You know, she did say that one day she would not have to worry about money and now her day has arrived. She must be very happy.' " And, well, it's true. They say that you can't take it with you when you go. I seem to be making sure of that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home