Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Extermination in the 1800s

I sort of backslide last night and got really intimate with my TV, but I don’t want to talk about it, okay? :) Just gotta pull myself back up and get back on the wagon, right?
I recently learned that in 1838, then-Governor Lilburn Boggs signed an extermination order to get rid of the Mormons (Boggs and Joseph Smith weren’t big fans of one another) in Missouri. Okay, it was 1838. There wasn’t a whole lot of "justice" going on. What I think is so interesting is that this Order stayed on the law books in Missouri until 1971. Amazing! In 1971, then-Governor Bonds publicly rescinded the extermination order and apologized to the Mormon people. Shouldn't this tidbit of religious persecution history should be in our mainstream history books? It seems important. I was a history major in undergrad. I recently was speaking with an esteemed U.S. history professor and he didn’t know about this either! At least he relieved my "lack of knowledge" guilt. But now he knows. And so do you.

1 Comments:

At 12:41 AM, Blogger staceygriff said...

wow. I didn't even know that. Just goes to show that " you learn something everyday". I had no idea is was kept on the books that long, 1971. That's crazy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home