Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Conversation and Communication

Esther, Juya and Kayo (Costa Rica, South Korea, Japan)
Kayo and Renato (Peru)
Cool New Orleans Christmas card!
Last night I enjoyed a little meeting (yeah, that's what we call it) with students from UT's English Language Institute where I am a volunteer. They are so much fun. We spent a good 20 minutes talking about the different cuisine in our very different five countries. I learned that in Peru, Inca Cola is much more popular than Coca Cola and that they also eat an animal that was described by Renato as "kinda like a big rat." Well, alrighty then. There was the usual discussion of the consumption of dog in Asian countries (sorry, but I believe that when in Rome....so if it had been offered to me in China.....well, I wouldn't have insulted my host) and the consumption of not only octopus, but live octopus. We had lots of laughs and will do it one more time next week before Renato heads back to Peru.
I received a wonderful surprise in the mail yesterday. My first official Christmas card of the season from my cruisin' buddies. Two years ago my son and I went on a cruise to the western caribbean and met some wonderful folks who were assigned to the same dinner table. Joan, Bill and their beautiful daughter, Mary, all living in New Orleans. We had wonderful meals and laughter every evening for seven nights. At the end of the cruise we exchanged emails and said we'd keep in touch. We have. I've enjoyed a wonderful King cake (pre-Katrina) from New Orleans and they have been introduced to the gooey goodness of Goo Goo bars. When Katrina struck I didn't hear from them for months. Finally, an email. They live in New Orleans but also have a rental property in Slidell, I believe. That home suffered greatly. They tried to "stick it out" like many residents but ended up wading out with just about everyone else. It was a very trying and sad time as they, like everyone else, lost many sentimental belongings.
It's good to hear from them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home