Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Russia, Russia, Russia.......


Above is the Church of St. Sophia in Harbin, China. I’ve never been to Russia, but there is a large Russian influence in Harbin. One can buy all manner of Russian souvenirs, including Russian cigarettes and decadent whipped dark chocolate bars (why don’t we have those here? why?). Harbin is one of those cities with a varied historical background (okay, it’s China, no, wait, it’s Russia, no, no, it’s really China). We drove up from Changchun the morning the Ice and Snow Festival began and drove back the next afternoon. I wanted more time in Harbin but we were being chauffeured by Tracy’s Uncle, Li Da, and time was valuable. Li Da chose a wonderful hotel (I knew I should have packed my bathing suit) and several wonderful restaurants (one was fantastic hot pot). Once again, Liyin and I weren’t allowed to pay for anything. More later on the Ice and Snow Festival (which was absolutely amazing but marred a bit by the incredible pain in my near-frostbitten toes due to sub-zero temperatures). For now, it’s all Russian. This past Sunday afternoon, Nana (my friend from the Republic of Georgia) and Hua and Tracy and I walked to the I-House and joined the Russian celebration festivities. The food was plentiful and very, very, heavy in meat and bread (especially dense breads). The borscht was very good and something I’ve never tried. The Russian lady serving the food, however, wouldn’t let me continue on my way until I had put a dollop of sour cream (which I dislike) in my soup (I’m glad she insisted; it made a big difference). We ate and watched Russian cartoons featuring Cheburashka, the funny little guy pictured above who was found in a crate of oranges and is unlike any other animal in the universe. :) Poor little Cheburashka! He reminds me of Winnie the Pooh, Eyeore, and Charlie Brown all together. Tonight is the grand finale of my recent Russian education. Several of my friends and I will attend the Russian Ballet as they perform "Swan Lake." But not before some American burgers from the cheap menu at Wendy's. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home