Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Friday, March 03, 2006

Blue Skies.....

The Sunsphere was built for the 1982 World's Fair. I took the pic above about 2 weeks ago. The Sunsphere is 26 stories high and there are 5 stories in the sphere. Today, it's not fit for tourist vistation, though many tourists ask to go up in it. Costly repairs to elevators to be made. During it's heyday there was a restaurant up there, a VIP floor and two observation decks. I was an undergrad at UT in 1982. Like many, many other students, we hoped for jobs at the Fair. I was a secretary in the VIP lounge for the Federal Express Pavilion and also a waitress at the Stroh House. Federal Express had the coolest pavilion by far because we had an indoor laser show (lasers were a new and hot thing in the early 80's) and a nightly outdoor laser show that brought the crowds. I met Fred Smith and his family. That was a great summer, working at the Fair. I dated a magician and also a trumpet player in the World's Fair marching band. I had mimes for friends and enjoyed walking around the Fair when I wasn't working one of the two jobs. I lived on Highland Avenue, right next to the No. 9 fire station. Every night there were great fireworks from the Fair site. One night, the firemen pulled the ladder truck out of the station house and extended the bucket with me and my roommate in it to get a better view of the fireworks! Great fun......and a great summer! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home