Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Hear Me Now, Believe Me Later......



Buy this book! Really. Do yourself a favor and introduce yourself to the emerging world of graphic novels (in this case, Palestine is non-fiction). I belong to a international literary colloquy and for the next 3 months we are reading works by Palestinian and Israeli authors. This is my first graphic read. Loved it. Really loved it. Takes you back to early childhood days of enjoying books that included pictures. This book, however, is for adults. Sacco, an artist and journalist, spent 2 months in the Occupied Territories and brings enlightenment to the Palestinian way of life. Sacco's drawings bring this book to life in your mind. The impact would be far diminished if it were just text. I'm looking forward to reading his account of a stay in Bosnia, Safe Area Gorazde: The War in Eastern Bosnia, 1992-1995. Doesn't lunch look great? We had cold bulghar, cold seasoned eggplant on a bed of fancy greens, a sort of chicken pot pie, sliced lamb and delicious raisin bread pudding. I was surprised that I really enjoyed the cold eggplant. I can't say as much for the cold bulghar.
Also check out Maus by Art Spiegelman. Okay, so what are you supposed to do? That's right. Read Sacco's Palestine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home