Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Friday, January 13, 2006

It's All About Food......



The food in China is not the same as the food in my local Chinese restaurant. It’s better. There are wonderful dishes of vegetables, (my favorites were bean sprouts and this delicious dish of fresh green beans with finely chopped chilies on them; oh man!) beef, pork, tofu (okay, I don’t like tofu, but I’m sure it was good), seaweed (well, I don’t do seaweed either and although I’m sure it was good, it was gray and well, slimy-looking). I ate some things that I will surely never eat again, or at least for a long, long time (can you say "donkey"?). I did not eat snake wound around and cooked on a stick, scorpians on a stick, bugs on a stick, lower bodies of frogs on a stick, etc. These were just some of the items offered on the night food street in Beijing, which just happened to be right outside our hotel. Our first night in China we ate our fill of food from the night food vendors and it only cost about $6.00 total for both of us! I have some pics somewhere of the night food and when I get them developed (I think they're on actual film), I'll post them. I ate plenty for every meal and I ended up losing weight while in China. I suppose it was because I rarely ate bread and ate a healthy diet full of vegetables and lots of fruit and very few sweets. No wonder the Chinese appear so fit. I have to say, however, that about halfway through the trip someone presented me with a McDonald's Big Mac and it was wonderful! McDonald's food is the same in China as it is here, with additional items on the menu such as soup.
I brought new food resolutions home with me: eat more fruits and vegetables. I still, however, do not like tofu....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home