Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Use Time Wisely.....Check!

When I was in elementary school I would get in trouble for talking in class. In third grade, Ms. Moore made me move my desk to the front of the class, right next to her desk. This was supposed to ensure less talking and more wisely-spent time. I think I was a little bored. I was a straight A (well, back then it was straight E’s) student and didn’t really need to spend a lot of time on classwork to get a 100. My penmanship was also perfect. Each time we received our report cards, I would open mine with a certain amount of dread and there it would be, a perfect little checkmark in ink by my teacher in the list of negative things that could be checked: Use Time Wisely. Use Time Wisely. Use Time Wisely. Who knew, at 8 years old, that this would be on my "report card of life" for many, many years. If I had used my time wisely in college, I may have graduated with a better GPA. I may have received a degree in something more worthwhile than History. I definitely could have used my time more wisely when raising my son. I would have lived life more cheaply, gotten by with far fewer "things", never worked extra jobs, and spent more time with my son. Now, at 44, I honestly think I get it. I’m still learning and growing but I understand just how important it is to use my time wisely. I’m figuring out what’s truly significant and of importance to me and I’m pursuing those interests. I’m expanding my relationships into circles of friends from all over the world, some close to heart and home, some casual and far away, ALL significant.
I have a certain amount of time. Everyone has a certain amount of time to do the right thing; to use their time wisely. Follow the heart. Follow the path that brings peace and happiness. I’m learning. Soon....I will give myself a perfect little checkmark. Right next to "Uses Time Wisely."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home