Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

I miss Haiti.....






My downstairs bathroom is decorated with art brought back from Haiti and Costa Rica. I would love to return to Haiti some day soon. I haven't visited Haiti in almost 15 years. Still, I remember every detail of my visits there (she says as she wonders just how long that kind of memory lasts). I tasted my first mango in Haiti. The only time I have tasted the juice of a freshly split coconut was in Haiti. My first experience translating English to English (which I do quite a bit of now) was in Haiti. I was dining with a French man and a man from the Deep South, USA. The Frenchman couldn't understand most of the Southerner's word. He would look at me and I would pronounce the words sans accent and he would smile, nod, and say "Ahhhh."
Those were some good times in my life.
Tonight I will view the Iranian movie, Day Break. This film is part of the Film Movement Film Series wherein independent films are shown every other Tuesday. They are free and I enjoy them. The printed synopsis of tonight's movie reads: "In Iran, capital punishment is carried out according to Islamic law, which gives the family of the victim ownership of the offender's life. Day Break, based on a compilation of true stories and shot inside Tehran's century-old prison, revoles around the imminent execution of mansour, a man found guilty of murder. When the family of the victim repeatedly fails to show up on the appointed day, Mansour's execution is postponed again and again. Stuck inside the purgatory of his own mind, he waits as time passes on without him, caught between life and death, retribution and forgiveness.
Can you imagine what life might be like for criminals in the U.S. if victims owned their lives and made the decision on sentencing? Hmmmmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home