Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Monday, November 13, 2006

All the Leaves are Red, and the Sky is Blue!



The big trees have shed all their leaves and it's time to bust out the rakes!
This weekend I rented some foreign films (Chinese, Italian, and French) and two of them are very good, both Chinese films with English subtitles. One is "Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" (also a great book, by the way) and the other is "Farewell, My Concubine" (starring famous Chinese actress Gong Li, who was most recently in the Miami Vice movie). I learned a lot about Beijing opera in the film "Farewell." I don’t care for opera music or opera performances. I might feel different about the Beijing opera, however, as the music and costumes are very exotic.
Sunday afternoon I took a walk around the neighborhood with some friends and we stopped by Panera’s for a little coffee and conversation. It was filled with students bent over their laptops or textbooks. Just another average weekend in the life of Lucy Blue.
Reading: Just finished The Summer Guest, by Justin Cronin and almost to the end of In The Country of Last Things, by Paul Auster. Both pleasant reads (although in Auster’s case, I would describe his fiction with words like "intense, bizarre" and "how does this guy think these things up?").

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home