Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

My House is a Very, Very, Very, Fine House....

I wonder. Does anybody really "get" many of my titles that are lines from songs of the past?

Last night I went to see the Umbilical Brothers, a very talented "mime with sound" duo from Australia. We first had dinner at the Copper Cellar and then headed over to Clarence Brown theater. About an hour before leaving for dinner I discovered I had no heat in my house (yes, I knew it was cold but just thought the thermostat was out of whack and on "away" or something). I realized this by venturing down into the scawy, scawy basement and seeing a red light flashing in the little portal on my heating unit and NOT seeing the cute little "blue flame." I made the necessary calls to the landlord and to a friend who works for KUB ($90 for an after hours call which the landlord would pay but still) and to a heating and air fix-it man recommended by my landlord. He said he charges $65 for a house call and wouldn't be able to get to me for nearly 24 hours. You see, it dipped to below freezing (29) last night in K-town and there was a freeze warning out and he was covered up. Fortunately, this nice fix-it man told me how to remove a panel on the unit, look for the reset switch and just try that. So, after returning from the theater, I did as he suggested and Wa La ...... the wonderful whoosh of the unit firing up and delivering wonderful, glorious HEAT! :) Can you imagine? It would have cost $65 for a fix-it man to do what I did. And yes, it gave me a brief powerful feeling to know that I conquered my little heating problem. Most would say, "Come on, Lucy Blue, any idiot knows about the reset switch." But those who truly know me.....know that I am NO fix it person. It was a little "I Am Woman" moment for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home