Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

And Then There Were Five!

I'm sure that my name is well known among the community of homeless feral felines in my neighborhood. Convos among cats are probably like this: "Yeah, let's hit Lucy Blue's house. There's ALWAYS food there and if there isn't we can just meow at her front door and she'll come out with food. She's SO easy." Two years ago I fed a feral mama cat who had four kittens. I ended up trapping 3 of the kittens when they were a year old and got them sterilized, vaccinated, etc. Adopted out all 3 of them. The fourth one, however, got away from me and bit the fire out of my right hand in the process. (And he had the gall to keep showing up in later months for food). After several doctor visits and major antibiotics, it was determined that the infection in my pinkie finger did not reach the bone and I'd be able to properly bend my finger. Whew! I had learned my lesson. No more missions of trapping feral kittens. But history being history, I couldn't just let the 2 young kittens that showed up at my house go unfed. I soon noticed one was pregnant (she herself still a baby) but when I noticed she had given birth and then never saw her offspring, I just figured she inadvertently stepped on them, killed them, didn't have the mother instinct yet, etc. She and her sibling live under the house next door to mine. Last night she presented her kittens to me but stayed close just in case I tried to touch them. This morning I noticed that they were still there, all curled up, and it looked like rain again so I walked right up to them. One of them hissed at me (which is SO funny considering how very tiny they are right now) and wobbled under the house and 2 more followed. That weird beige one, however, just stayed put. Poor thing. The runt. I picked him up with no resistance and placed him under the house with his siblings. He doesn't walk very well.
So now I'm all caught up in feline drama again. I'm not happy about it. I love animals but I don't enjoy the accompanying stress of worrying about these young kittens wandering out into the road, etc. And, you know, these 4 will just turn into 8 then 12, 20, MORE feral cats in the neighborhood. What to do, what to do.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home