Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Don't Lick That!

I've been thinking about tolerance. I understand and appreciate this word much more as I grow older. Without tolerance, we’re (meaning the world) sunk. Don’t you agree? I'm aware that my outlooks and views about many things in life are changing, for the positive, as I move through the back half of my life. When I was younger I was far less tolerant and also fairly conservative. Now, I consider myself a liberal Democrat (although, I must say, I’ve always voted Democrat....except that one time for Reagan....but hey, I was young and didn’t know any better). I was also far more concerned about material things that just aren’t important to me anymore. I can honestly say that I don’t care if I ever own a piece of new furniture again in my life. I just don’t mind used things. In fact, I even prefer older pieces of furniture. I feel the same way about cars. As long as I have something that gets me from point A to point B, I'm satisfied. I have no problem wearing clothes that other people give to me when they're done wearing them. None at all. I have several things that I wear to work every week that I call my "dead lady" (no disrespect) clothes because a friend of mine gave them to me after a tall friend of hers died unexpectedly. Since I’ve never been married, most of the appliances and things in my "household" are used. You know, that brings up another subject. When a girl never marries, she misses out on that wonderful American custom known as the wedding shower. I’ve attended my fair share and bought nice gifts for friends. I used to be a bit jealous of friends who outfitted their home with shiny new appliances, matching towel sets, new sheets, etc. All right, all right, I was flat out jealous. I got beyond that feeling many years ago, however, when I realized that 90% of those wedding showers led to marriages that ended in divorce. I’m not sure all the shiny new things were worth it. :) But wait a minute. Tolerance. Things I used to tolerate, I just don’t care to tolerate anymore. For me, this is a move in the right direction. I can’t say I never let anyone "run over" me these days but I do try my best to always stick up for myself. Alternatively, things I used to think I’d never tolerate, I now gladly tolerate. Take guacamole, for instance. (Stupid example, you say? So what? This is my little corner). As recently as two years ago I was pretty sure that you’d never get me to eat it. Had I tried it? Well, no. But that’s beside the point. It’s cold, gooey and green. Isn’t that enough reason? Now, I merely mourn the years I could have been enjoying guacamole but for a pre-formed opinion based on unfounded and unproven facts. Now, artichoke dip is another matter entirely. I will never, ever, try it and I don’t mind telling you that my decision is based purely on smell. For me, a proven fact. That’s right. Smell. I’d describe what it smells like to me but you might not be able to tolerate it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home