Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Thursday, July 05, 2007

This Land is Your Land......

A huge flag at World's Fair Park!

The Sunsphere's observation deck re-opens today and the restaurant is opening September 1. A brave man slowly came down a zip-line from the top of the ball across the street and into the Park lawn yesterday. We also saw him do a practice runs on Tuesday. The Sunsphere is higher than it appears.

Nana shows a little patriotic/UT attitude!

I love standing here and watching the kids play in the fountains! They laugh and squeal and have tons 'o fun!

Patriotic shadows

The huge moving Rubik's cube from the '82 World's Fair was refurbished by UT engineering students and is now on display in the Exhibition Hall of the old convention center.

Because you never know when you're going to need emergency cash....

Over 20,000 folks listening to the Knoxville Symphony and waiting for the fireworks display!

My camera doesn't do well with firework shots but you get the picture!
Yesterday, at World's Fair Park, there was a festival celebrating the 25th anniversary of the 1982 World's Fair. I took time off from college and worked 2 jobs at the Fair. It was a wonderful time as a 21 year old and I loved working at the Fair. During that six months, I dated a musician in the World's Fair Band and a magician (who was very good at disappearing acts!).
We walked around, had some homemade ice cream, checked out the exhibits, and then all went home for a rest before heading back down for the fireworks. The symphony plays wonderful patriotic music during the fireworks and there are hordes of people spread out on the lawns, streets, wherever they can. Last night after the fireworks, I get a call from my son:
N: So I just cooked a pizza and I have no knife to cut it up!
Me: Okay, well, just tear it.
N: No, no, I can't do that. It's one of those rising crust ones. I'm coming over to get a knife.
Me: Whatever.
It's nice to live less than 20 yards from your mother. Imagine the horrible crisis if I had already left!







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home