Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Monday, July 02, 2007

The Galili Family Comes to Knoxville!

Amory (15), Adina (17), Benny and Lynne

Benny ponders how he would look in a nifty pair of overalls!

Melrose Hall, where Lynne and I lived over 25 years ago.
Unfortunately, Melrose Hall will be torn down in a few years to make way for a newer residence hall. This is unfortunate as it is the most unique residence hall on UT's campus and has a wonderful enclosed courtyard unlike any other building on campus. Just look at these arches! I'll be sad to see it go.

Adina gives me a theatrical pose in the Melrose Hall courtyard.

Amory, looking very handsome on the rocks of Clingman's Dome.

I did it, I did it, I did it!!!!! Finally!
Lynne Getter (now Galili) and I met when we both lived in Melrose Hall during our undergraduate years at UT. We also had German class together. At the time, I would have considered Lynne a liberal Jewish girl and she would probably have considered me a conservative Christian girl. After 22 years, Lynne and I were reunited as she took a "southern driving vacation" to see many long-time friends in the south. Lynne and her family live in Boston and Lynne has become a friend to Tracy and Hua, now that they live in Boston (well, technically, they all live outside of Boston proper). The four Galilis and I had a wonderful two days together as we toured around Knoxville and Gatlinburg, climbed up Clingman's Dome, had a picnic and rode go-carts in Pigeon Forge. We even had the soup, salad and vegetable buffet at Shoney's to give them a well-rounded Southern experience. Speaking of southern, after priding myself in my ability to "lose" my southern accent, one of the first things Benny commented on (who is from Israel) was my southern accent. I took great offense and from that moment on took great joy in teasing him about his Israeli accent ("Did you say "mudder" or "mother"?). ha ha It was great fun to meet Lynne's husband and children, who were very articulate and well-behaved (despite what Lynne may think). After 22 years, Lynne is still Jewish and I am still Christian. However, it was interesting to observe that Lynne has become a bit more conservative and I have become far more liberal. At least this was my observation. I'm looking forward to spending more time with Lynne and her family in future times.
In other monumental news, N moved into his own apartment yesterday; the first time he has ever had his own place without roommates. More on that, complete with photos, tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home