Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Monday, October 03, 2005

Same Time, Different Days

This past Saturday my friends Yeheng and Liyin prepared several traditional Chinese dishes and invited me to join them. I walked to Ruihe’s apartment, who would be making the rice, and where everyone would gather to eat. I met a friend of Ruihe’s, Fran (also from Taiwan), who joined us for dinner. We all sat on the floor around Ruihe’s coffee table to eat. Ruihe served me a traditional drink from Taiwan made from dried plums (which he brought from Taiwan). It was okay, but very salty. We had pork with carrots in a nice broth, green beans with chicken in it, Chinese cabbage, and a dish made up of scrambled egg and large pieces of onion and green peppers. After eating, around 10:00 p.m., Yeheng used Ruihe’s computer and got online to talk with her parents in northern China (in the city of Changchun). It was 10:00 a.m. on Sunday in China. Yeheng was very excited because her family was going to get to meet me (via webcam). I have never used a webcam before so this was a new experience. I was a little self-conscious at first, running my hands through my hair and worrying about how I looked. However, with Yeheng’s boyfriend translating, her parents commented that I was "very beautiful." Of course, there is the possibility that something got turned around in the translation. :) It was very heartwarming to see Yeheng’s mother, father, maternal grandmother, uncle, sister and boyfriend all crowded around the webcam as they spoke to us. Ruihe had a microphone so they could also hear our voices. This is just amazing to me. A young woman in Tennessee can see and speak with her family in northern China, half a world away, in real time through the internet. No wonder letters are becoming obsolete. Yeheng enjoyed having me say the few Mandarin words I know into the microphone. Yeheng’s grandmother, a very small, petite 81 year old, was absolutely adorable as she kept peering into the webcam and never saying anything. I hope to get to meet her one day. I typed several instant messages to Yeheng’s family members and her boyfriend (whom she will become married to in December when she goes home) translated for me. Once again, a comfortable, relaxing time among my new friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home