Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Friday, April 01, 2005

The Grapes of Wisdom

Another little tidbit from Steinbeck, spoken through Ma: "Learnin' it all a time, ever' day. If you're in trouble or hurt or need -- go to poor people. They're the only ones that'll help -- the only ones." Now, I'm not a huge fan of generalizations, but I believe studies have been conducted and articles have been written about the fact that, when it comes to charitable contributions, the middle and lower class give the most. I can say that when I have been responsible for collecting money at work for a needy family, the support staff gave far more than the professional staff. Interesting, really. Those who have the least, give the most. Perhaps it's because they are closer to knowing what it feels like to need. Maybe it's because they don't mind if they don't get a "tax break" for their contribution. I think Ma knew what she was talking about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home