Love, Lucy Blue

In A Corner of My Mind.....

Friday, April 01, 2005

In the Beginning....

On a whim, I decided to create an online journal. Because I can't quite grasp how to approach this blog let me just say something along the lines of "and now for something completely different": I'm currently reading Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath. About 2/3's through. One of those novels I should have read in college (right?), but didn't. It's an interesting read. Steinbeck has a way of creating a film with words that plays right before your eyes. To date, the most vivid for me occurs when Ma is cooking stew and the very hungry children in the roadside camp are standing around. Silent. Hungry. Hoping. Steinbeck writes, "Ma talked quietly to a little girl who stood inside the lusting circle." The lusting circle. Three words. I've been giving those words thought since I read them today at lunch. The lusting circle.

2 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Blogger Le Plume said...

You might want to read In Dubious Fights next, one of my favorites. After Cannery Row of course - probably the only novel from which I felt compelled to learn entire sentences by rote.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

Thanks for the suggestions, le plume. Cannery Row is definitely on my list! LB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home